Total Pageviews

Friday, January 28, 2011

We heard back from a clinic...

Part of what had attracted us to EA in the first place was the fact that we would be giving life to some embies that otherwise would not have a chance.  Well, we just got a call back from a clinic that kinda takes that aspect out of the equation.  While we were talking, the guy from the clinic kept mentioning donor egg and donor sperm.  I thought, perhaps, he was mistaken about our inquiry and when I corrected him and told him that we were interested in embryo adoption, he clarified and explained that they offer embryo adoption at the clinic but said embryos were created from donor egg and donor sperm.  

Is it just me or does that kind of take away from one of the main principles that donor embryo recipients hold dear?  It's not so much embryo adoption at that point as it is high tech family planning.  Don't get me wrong, I completely understand that some folks may want to select a sperm and egg donor that would give them the best chance of having children that fit the profile that they were looking for, but it just doesn't feel right to me. 

Anyway, I told DH that I didn't think these were our babies and that we should keep praying that our first choice clinic comes through and has embies available for real adoption.  This clinic was almost twice as expensive as others that I've called, although they do offer a money back guarantee if you're unsuccessful in 3 attempts.  I'm trusting that the Lord wants us to pass this one up because He's got our baby waiting in the wings!

2 comments:

  1. You may want to look into Miracles Waiting - this is an online service matching parents of frosties (already created frozen embryos from a previous IVF cycle) with potential future parents who are looking for frozen embryos - called embryo donation (rather than adoption)- and although similar is slightly different from embryo adoption in that you don't have to do home studies, etc. This is a matching service. You can post an ad there and couples who are deciding what to do with their frozen embryos can contact you.
    http://www.miracleswaiting.org/

    I am not affiliated with them, but I did browse around their site when I was considering the embryo donation option, and I also know other people who have used that service and are pregnant with donor embryos.

    I wish you all the best as you explore your options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were going to give them a try if our clinics didn't come through. We'd like the adoption to remain anonymous and it seemed as though the donors on Miracles Waiting wanted a more open relationship. The clinics that we spoke to don't require a home study either, which is another reason we went that route instead of going through an agency.

    Thanks for your help though. We're praying for our clinics to come through, but if not you'll see our ad on Miracles Waiting!

    ReplyDelete