Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Finally met our doctor...

...and she is wonderful!!!  I had my final monitoring ultrasound and blood work at my GYNs office on Wednesday and when my nurse got the results, she e-mailed me to say that my lining was a little too thin.  It was measuring at 7.1 mm and they usually like it to be at least 8 mm.  She said the Dr. wanted me to start the Estrace pills early and instead of taking them orally, she wanted me to do it vaginally twice a day.  I started that Thursday afternoon when I got home from work and got the call from the clinic that they wanted us there at 7 am on Saturday for the catheter fitting!  We were planning on driving down Saturday morning, but with the appointment being that early we didn't want to risk traffic, getting lost, etc. so we drove down on Friday and stayed at the hotel that we booked for Wednesday and Thursday night.

Needless to say, after the 7.1 mm measurement I got a little panicky.  I wondered if this was a sign that this wasn't the right choice for us.  I immediately called all my prayer partners and asked them to pray for my endometrial lining....odd request, I know!  I didn't get much sleep Friday night.  I seemed to be tossing and turning all night with worry.  I woke up before the alarm on Saturday, got showered and woke up DH.  After a pit stop at Dunkin' Donuts for a bagel, we arrived at the clinic.

I must admit, my first impressions weren't good at all and I wondered if we'd made the right choice.  My wonderful nurse was off that day and, at first, the few staff members that we met seem kind of cold and abrupt.  The ultrasound tech was kind of rough and the nurse that we met with wasn't as warm as I had hoped at first, but I think I was just reading her wrong because she was great by the end of the visit.  They got me situated in stirrups and were getting the room set up when the Dr. walked in.  I kind of planned on meeting her face to face before I was spread eagle in front of her, but whatever!  I feel like I have no shame at this point!

She apologized for having to meet this way and informed us that my lining was measuring 12 mm!!!  Thank you, Jesus!  I can't describe the relief I felt at that point.  She said everything looked perfect and my cervical mucus was "beautiful."  Quite an odd compliment, but under the circumstances, I'll take it!  I asked her if it was a nice shade of blue since the Estrace pills that I'd been inserting vaginally were blue.  Since her first name is Robin she joked and said they at that clinic they call that "Robin Egg Blue!"  Too cute! 

The catheter fitting was quick and painless and she gave us a brief overview of what was going to happen on Thursday and we were on our way.  I had been on the fence about whether or not to take their massage and acupuncture package on transfer day, but decided that I need to do everything in my power to give these embryos a chance so we let them know that we wanted that too. 

This is going to be a long 3 days, but we'll be on the road after work on Wednesday.  It's so cool that by this time next week, I'll be pregnant!!  I pray that one or both of these little guys decide to make themselves at home and stick around for the next nine months!  Praying for twins!!!

3 comments:

  1. Praying everything goes well for you this week and your little ones stick around for a long, long time!

    Diane
    snowflakesintherain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm sooooo excited for you!!! I can't wait to hear how this goes, especially since you're at my clinic!! I agree about the staff - I LOVED my nurses, but the others I dealt with were a little abrupt to me, too. I'm so glad you liked Dr. Robin - she is such a kind doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my transfer was 4/19/10, so our babies could be exactly a year apart!

    ReplyDelete